Old English Synonyms
to make or become wider
to make or become larger in dimension, extent, or scope; increase: The river widened as it flowed south. His smile widened as he recognized me.
1. The widening of the gap between rich and poor is a cause for concern.
2. The widening of the river created a new floodplain.
3. The widening of the road will take six months to complete.
4. The widening scandal has led to calls for the resignation of the Prime Minister.
5. Widening participation in higher education is a government priority.