Criminal activity involving the proceeds of crime.
“Money laundering” can be referred to as “funny money
” “money magic
” or ” structuring.”
Old English Synonyms
The process of hiding or disguising the source of illegally obtained money.
The process of hiding the source of money that has been obtained through illegal activity. This is often done by moving the money through a series of banks or businesses so that it appears to have come from a legitimate source.
1. She was convicted of money laundering and sent to prison.
2. The money laundering was performed through a series of offshore bank accounts.
3. The police are investigating a money laundering scheme involving several local businesses.
4. The company was fined for money laundering offences.
5. The court heard that the money laundering was carried out over a period of several years.